November 29, 2020. Winter maintenance is in full swing. Our safety plans have been approved, and our swimmers and coaches are doing a great job of keeping everyone safe while practicing.
Swimmer of the week – July 20-25
We am pleased to announce that the Swimmer of the Week from July 20-25th is Chelsea from coach Casian’s group! Chelsea showed great focus during dryland sessions and completed practices to the best of her ability. She took feedback from the coaches and worked on it to improve her skills both in and out of the pool. Chelsea was listening attentively to Casian’s instructions and participated eagerly. Great work this week Chelsea!
Swimmer of the week – July 13-19
We are pleased to introduce our swimmer of the week awards for the 2020 summer season. The first winner is Irene, from coach Colin’s group.
Irene shows up to every practice ready to work hard. She listens attentively to instructions and takes feedback very well. She demonstrates great work ethic during dryland and swim and is always on top of the set. Many other swimmers follow her when they are unsure of a set or instruction. Although she is very quiet, her effort speaks much louder.
We are pleased to announce a tentative start date to the summer swimming season on July 6, 2020! The executive and coaches are busy planning and booking pool time.
Firstly, we want to reiterate that safety is of the utmost importance of our revised summer program. The BC Summer Swimming Association (BCSSA) and the clubs have established safety protocols for social distancing inside and outside of the pool. Our pool safety protocols have been updated to address COVID, and are required to be approved by the City of Burnaby and abide by BCSSA guidelines.
Our intent is to be able to provide a means for our Mantas swimmers to maintain their love of swimming and keep our strong sense of community. This program also allows for the swimmers to stay physically active and to add some structure to the swimmer’s daily schedules this summer, which is important during these times.
Practices will include modified dryland (to allow for safe distancing) in the park, followed by swimming in the pool. As usual, athletes will be grouped with kids of similar ages, skill and ability, and will remain with that group for the entire season.
COVID19 Update – May 1, 2020
May 1 is our typical start day to the summer swimming season, but unfortunately this year, we will not be able to start in May. Burnaby Mountain Mantas continues to follow BC Ministry of Health Guidelines on social distancing. We have just been advised that pools in Burnaby will remain closed until at least the end of June.
The Simon Fraser Region is looking at moving the season back into July and August in a safe manner. Currently, Dr. Bonnie Henry has asked all amateur sports teams to create a “safe return to play” plan. The BCSSA board is creating what “safe swimming” will look like.
What we do know as of today: swimming this year will not look like it normally does. Even if the season starts in July, it is unlikely we could host swim meets. Already we know May and June are cancelled, and we do not know what July and August might look like. It is quite possible the entire season is cancelled.
All we can do right now is wait for more direction from Dr. Bonnie Henry and Adrian Dix. In the meantime, Burnaby Mountain Mantas is happy to offer FREE zoom workouts to all full members of the swim club. Unfortunately at this time, due to age concerns, we will not be able to offer these workouts to the mini mantas.
We will offer these zoom dryland workouts for free for the month of May while we wait for more direction on what we can and can’t do this summer. However, you must sign the attached waiver before you can participate in the zoom drylands.You must complete a separate waiver for each swimmer. The dryland links will only be sent to those families that sign the waiver. It is also important that only registered swimmers with BCSSA do these dryland workouts. So if you have other children who are not registered with BCSSA, they cannot participate (for insurance reasons.)
Coach Colin will reach out to the team directly with the dryland plans and schedule. In the meantime, please sign the waiver if you are interested in participating in the workouts.
The club will be refunding families for the lost portions of the summer season. We are just waiting to see what the season might look like before we start the refund process. Please be patient with us as we figure this out.
Thanks everyone for your patience. Also – thank you so much to our coaches who are volunteering their time right now. This idea was the coaches idea – they miss our swimmers and want to spend time coaching this summer, and have offered these sessions to help us all connect in these hard times. So thank you so much.
June 1, 2020:
Thank you Mantas families for your generous donation to Burnaby Hospital.
Message from the president: April 8, 2020
As of right now, we are still planning on a summer season.
The BC Summer Swimming Association has just cancelled our traditional Provincial Championships at UBC. However, this does not mean the season is cancelled. The Provincial board felt Provincials at UBC would not be possible due to the large number of athletes and parents in a small area, and the travelling involved in this meet. There may be provincial champions determined by comparing results from smaller meets throughout the season, or from comparing the winning times from each Regional Championship.
In other words, we may still have a season, but the timing of the season may be shifted to later, and it may only involve local teams. We are really hoping to have a season, but I can guarantee you the season will look different than it normally does.
We are still in a waiting game and must follow social distancing rules. But we are still hopeful that the season will occur in some form.
I ask for your patience while we wait and see. None of us can see into the future, and for now, all we can do is wait.
Kelowna Swim Meet
February 29, 2020
Mantas will be attending an out-of-town meet this year. The meet is in Kelowna, July 4/5 , in the H20 Adventure and Fitness Centre. The pool is really nice – 50 m indoor pool with waterslides, and kids pool. There is day camping on the field next to the building. The meet is heat and finals.
The meet is open to all members of the club, no matter your age or skill level. Also a reminder that Provincials are in-town this year, so this will be the only out-of-town meet all season.
Our preferred spot to stay will be Bear Creek Campground. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/bear_crk/. The campground is right on Lake Okanogan, and right on the edge of town so a short drive to the pool each morning. The campground has flush toilets and showers. If you want to book in at the campground, you will need to do it 4 months in advance. So if you want to check in on Friday night, you will need to book your campsite on Tuesday, March 3rd at 7am.
To book your campsite, log on to Discover camping https://discovercamping.ca/BCCWeb/, search for Bear Creek Campground, then pick your dates. I highly recommend you open up the website by 6:45 am on Tuesday morning, have it all ready to go, pick your site, and the second it turns 7 am, hit the reserve button. Unfortunately, if you wait until after 7 am you may not get a spot. (make sure you are logged in before you hit the reserve button!).
If you do not like camping, you can stay at UBC Okanagan residences. A family of 4 can get a room for roughly $179.00. Or you can stay at a hotel. There is also overnight RV parking for trailers and motorhomes but no tenting in the H2O parking lot.
February 1, 2020
Message from our Head Coach:
Happy New Year and I hope everyone had a wonderful winter break. Quickly approaching is our Winter Mock Meet! We are so excited to see all you new swimmers getting your first taste of swimming competition, and to see all our returning swimmers re-entering the world of racing. Please await further information about the mock meet this coming week which will include warm up times, event entries, and more. See you all on deck!
Dec 8, 2019
Holiday Skating Party
Mark your calendar folks! The annual Mantas Skating event is happening on at the end of December. Log into the members only area to view details. A signup sheet was sent to you via email.
This is always a fun social event. Hope to see everyone there!
2019 Provincials Recap
Congratulations on an excellent 2019 summer season! Top team in the SF Region, and Second in the Province!
2019 was an excellent year for the Burnaby Mountain Mantas. Mantas won the 2019 Simon Fraser Regional Championships, and came in second overall at the 2019 BC Summer Swimming Association Provincial Championships. Well done to all our swimmers! The following swimmers won medals at our provincial championships:
- Andrew Woinoski – 200 IM Div 8
- Armaan Basi – 50 Free O-cat 2
- Armaan Basi – 100 Fly O-cat 2
- Beck Yu – 50 Back Div 2
- Carson Wong – 50 Fly – O-cat 2
- Natalie Zheng – 50 Breast Div 1
- Beck Yu – 50 Breast Div 2
- Vivan Yang – 100 Breast Div 4
- Yolanda Ling – 100 Breast O-cat 2
- Nathan Li – 100 Breast O-cat 2
- Vivian Yang – 100 Free Div 4
- Armaan Basi – 100 Free 0-cat 2
- Richard Li/Beck Yu/Aaron Lim/Lucas Ma – Div 2 Medley Relay
- Jenny Xu/Yolanda Ling/Keira Wong/Elva Yu – O-cat 2 Medley Relay
- Armaan Basi /Nathan Li/Carson Wong/Samuel Kim – O-cat 2 Medley Relay
- Zennea Chen/Keira Lo/Angela Guan/Jessie Hua – Div 3 Free Relay
- Vivian Yang/Katrina Lo/Sophia Morton/Michelle Li – Div 4 Free Relay
- Michelle Li/Claire Guo/Katrina Lo/Vivian Yang – Div 4 Medley Relay
- Keira Wong/Amy Zhu/Elva Yu/Jenny Xu – O-cat 2 Free Relay
- Carson Wong/Christopher Ng/Samuel Kim/ Armaan Basi Basi – O-cat 2 Free Relay
- Beck Yu – 100 IM Div 2
- Vivian Yang – 200 IM Div 4
- Carson Wong – 50 Free O-cat 2
- Vivian Yang – 50 Fly Div 4
- Hannah Cui – 100 Fly Div 6
- Keira Wong – 100 Fly O-cat 2
- Jessie Hua – 50 Back Div 3
- Keira Wong – 100 Back O-cat 2
- Tommy Chung – 100 Back O-cat 2
- Liam Russell – 100 Breast Div 4
- Colin Ma – 100 Breast 0-cat 2
- Beck Yu – 100 Free Div 2
- Keira Wong – 100 Free O-cat 2
- Carson Wong – 100 Free 0-cat 2
- Jessie Hua/Angela Guan/Kayla Liu/Zennea Chen – Div 3 Medley Relay
- Boris Zhang/Daniel Wang/Ronan Livesey/Christopher Ng – Div 5 Medley Relay
- Desiree Wu/Lauryn Sartori/Hannah Hui/Eliana Zhao – Div 7 Medley Relay
- Yolanda Ling – 200 IM 0-cat 2
- Christopher Ng – 50 Free Div 5
- Samuel Kim – 50 Free O-cat 2
- Zennea Chen – 50 Fly Div 4
- Carson Wong – 100 Fly O-cat 2
- Matthew Shuen – 50 Back Div 1
- Armaan Basi – 50 Fly O-cat 2
- Claire Guo – 100 Breast Div 4
- Frank Guo – 100 Breast Div 4
- Samuel Kim – 100 Breast O-cat 2
- Lauryn Sartori – 100 Breast Div 7
- Andrew Woinoski – 100 Breast Div 8
- Jessie Hua – 100 Free Div 3
- Samuel Kim – 100 Free O-cat 2
- Colin Du/Jerry Ling/Marty Xu/Jayden Yap – O-cat 1 Medley Relay
- Frank Guo/Liam Russell/Justin Wiebe/Evan Ghanason – Div 4 Medley Relay
- Crystal Yu/Chloe Wong/Sarah Wiebe/Quynh Anh Ha – Div 2 Free Relay
- Richard Li/Aaron Lim/Lucas Ma/Beck Yu – Div 2 Free Relay
- Hannah Cui/Eliana Zhao/Bree Livesey/Yen Nhi Ha – Div 6 Free Relay
- Tommy Chung/Boris Zhang/Adrian Kan/Nathan Li – O-Cat 2 Free Relay